Pages

Monday 18 April 2016

13. COPYING HIM IN EVERY SMALL OR BIG ACT



Ubayd ibn Jurayj said to Abdullah ibn Umar: Abu AbdurRahman, I saw you doing things which I did not see being done by your companions.

He asked: What are they, Ibn Jurayj? 

He replied: I saw you touching only the two Yamani corners; and I saw you wearing shoes having no hair; I saw you dyeing in yellow colour; and I saw you wearing ihram on the eighth of Dhul-Hijjah, whereas the people had worn ihram when they sighted the moon.

Abdullah ibn Umar replied: As regards the corners, I have not seen the Apostle of Allah (.a.w) touching anything (in the Ka'bah) but the two Yamani corners. As for the tanned leather shoes, I have seen the Apostle of Allah (s.a.w) wearing tanned leather shoes, and he would wear them after ablution. Therefore I like to wear them. As regards wearing yellow, I have seen the Apostle of Allah (s.a.w) wearing yellow, so I like to wear with it. As regards shouting the talbiyah, I have seen the Apostle of Allah (s.a.w) raising his voice in talbiyah when his she-camel stood up with him on its back.



[Sunan Abi Dawud 1772 / Muwatta Malik :  Book 20, Hadith 31/ Sahih Muslim Book 7, Hadith 2674]

حدثنا يزيد بن هارون، أخبرنا عبد الملك، عن أنس بن سيرين قال: كنت مع ابن عمر بعرفات، فلما كان حين راح رحت معه حتى أتى الإمام فصلى معه الأولى والعصر، ثم وقف معه وأنا وأصحاب لي حتى أفاض الإمام فأفضنا معه، حتى انتهينا (2) إلى المضيق دون المأزمين، فأناخ وأنخنا، ونحن نحسب أنه يريد أن يصلي، فقال غلامه الذي يمسك راحلته: إنه ليس يريد الصلاة، ولكنه ذكر " أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم لما انتهى إلى هذا المكان قضى حاجته، فهو يحب أن يقضي حاجته "

On the authority of Anas ibn Sirin:I was with Ibn ‘Umar at ‘Arafat, and when he rested, I rested with him, until the Imam came and he prayed with him Zuhr and ‘Asr. Then he did wuquf with him, as did I and some fellows of mine; until the Imam went forth [from ‘Arafah to Muzdalifah], so we went forth with him, until we reached a narrow path near Ma’zimayn, where he halted his camel, and we halted, as we thought that he wanted to pray. His servant who was holding his animal said: “He does not wish to pray, but he remembered that the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) when he reached this place, he fulfilled his need [i.e. urinated], so he [i.e. Ibn ‘Umar] loves to fulfil his need [here].”

(Ahmad narrated it (no. 6151) with a sahih chain as said by Sh‘ayb al-Arna’ut)


It is reported from ‘Abdullah ibn Mas‘ood (may Allah be pleased with him), according to which the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said:

The last one to enter Paradise will be a man who will walk once, stumble once and be burned by the Fire once. When he gets past it, he will turn to it and say, ‘Blessed be the One Who has saved me from you. Allaah has given me something that He has not given to the first and the last.’ A tree will be raised up for him, and he will say, ‘O Lord, bring me closer to this tree so that I might shelter in its shade and drink of its water.’ Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, will say: ‘O son of Adam, perhaps if I give you that, you will ask Me for something else.’ He will say, ‘No, O Lord,’ and he will promise that he will not ask Him for anything else, and his Lord will excuse him because he has seen something that he cannot help wanting. So he will be brought near to it and he will shelter in its shade and drink of its water. Then another tree will be raised up for him that is more beautiful than the first, and he will say: ‘O Lord, bring me closer to this tree so that I might drink of its water and shelter in its shade, and I will not ask You for anything else.’  He will say: ‘O son of Adam, did you not promise Me that you would not ask Me for anything else?’ He will say: ‘Perhaps if I bring you near to it, you will ask Me for something else.’ He will promise that he will not ask Him for anything else, and his Lord will excuse him because he has seen something that he cannot help wanting. So he will be brought near to it and he will shelter in its shade and drink of its water. Then another tree will be raised up for him at the gate of Paradise that is more beautiful than the first two, and he will say: ‘O Lord, bring me closer to this tree so that I might shelter in its shade and drink of its water, and I will not ask You for anything else.’  He will say: O son of Adam, did you not promise Me that you would not ask Me for anything else?’ he will say, ‘No, O Lord, I will not ask You for anything else.’ His Lord will excuse him because he has seen something that he cannot help wanting. He will be brought close to it, and when he draws close to it, he will hear the voices of the people of Paradise and will say, ‘O Lord, admit me therein.’ He will say: ‘O son of Adam, what will make you stop asking? Will it please you if I give you the world and as much again?’ He will say: ‘O Lord, are You making fun of me when You are the Lord of the Worlds?’”

Ibn Mas’ood smiled and said: Why don’t you ask me why I am smiling? They said: Why are you smiling? He said: This is how the Messenger of Allaah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) smiled and they said: Why are you smiling, O Messenger of Allaah? He said: “Because the Lord of the Worlds will smile when he says, ‘are You making fun of me when You are the Lord of the Worlds?’ and will say: ‘I am not making fun of you, but I am Able to do whatever I will.’” 
[narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (187) and  Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 12, Hadith number 770]
      

     Another will be available tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment